We are designing and building a new single family home and we haven’t been able to decide on an exterior, we have completed the design for the interior and I have attached a pdf with the layout for the 1st and 2nd floors and front elevation. The floor plan doesn’t include window placement or sizes so exterior designs should include window placement which is consistent with interior rooms but window dimensions, style and exterior trim are up to you the designer. The current plan has roof designs but these are currently roughed in and your submitted designs can have different roof designs and roof lines. We are thinking our style is transitional but to get an idea of what we like I would look at the attached photos of houses we really liked the exterior.
- We are open to new peaks, dormers, decorative gutters, shutters, no shutters, gables, sloped roofs….
- We plan on using natural stone, brick or stucco or some combination of the three. No siding or hardiplank…. We definitely don’t want another craftsmen style.
- We have a room over the garage per floor plan and at least one dormer is required for natural light.
- We are not finishing anything above 2nd floor so dormers on roof not required but aesthetic dormers are fine.
- Most of the fireplaces in house are gas and don’t require a chimney, the exception may be the one in the back of the house for the family room.
- The ceiling heights are 10’ on 1st Floor and 9’ on 2nd Floor and basement.
- We plan on having double wrought iron doors in the front, but may or may not have 2nd front door by mud room. If it doesn’t fit your design, leave it out.
- Roof will be shingles, we don’t have the budget for slate but we are open to shingles that look like slate if that fits with the design.
- The maximum height of a residential building is 35 feet measured from the average grade to the midpoint of the highest roof. See attached county
The end product will be in the 3M+ price range (Washington DC suburbs) so exterior designs need to support that price point. Finally, our goal is to have a unique, classy, timeless and stately exterior while not appearing ostentatious. See attached photos for ideas. Good luck to everyone, we are excited to see your ideas.