Long Narrow Lot with two buildings, both currently in use as doggie daycare facility. Original usage single family home and cinderblock garage. Business runs approximately 40-50 dogs per day cage free most of the time, kenneled at night. Dogs are causing excessive wear on the front building (photos attached). Dogs are free to run indoors and outdoors as they please or as we see fit.
I want these two buildings to flow as if they were one. I want the interior layout of the front building to get better usage. As it stands the dogs only use 1/2 of the available space, even though they have access to all of it... seems the directional flow causes them to gather in one spot. This project will be executed. I would like to continue to work with the designer after the competition, remotely should be fine.
What Cha Cha Wants
1 Easy to clean facility, possibly be able to hose the whole thing (interior/exterior)
2 Great sound containment (barking doesn’t bother neighbors), sound can be a challenge in cinderblock building especially. Possibly have some sort of tempered glass on the top of the ½ wall that clients can see through but still allows us to hear.
3 Great Natural light that doesn’t work against temperature controls
4 Great air flow throughout
5 Employee break area
6 Well functioning kitchen area
a. Sink with 3 separate bins
b. Garbage dogs cant get into
c. Storage area for dog food that dogs/vermin can’t penetrate
d. Ample counter/work space
e. Room for washer/dryer
7. Sufficient hot water throughout
8. Decent waiting area for clients, easy to maintain (possible retail space)
9. Separate open play areas for big/small/old dogs
10. Ability to open and close of certain large areas as needed. For example large inside area has moveable wall if we want to host a special event or simply have a small group of dogs training….. same with outdoor areas
11. Outdoor wading pool (no more than 2 or 2.5 feet deep w/cool waterfall area)see some examples at www.elainespetresorts.com or www.petcp.com
12. excellent drainage throughout facility
13. Ability to have 20 – 25 large single kennels 15-20 doubles & “x” toy breed
14. Several kennels with indoor/outdoor runs
15. Easy roll up hose/cleaning system that can reach whole facility
16. Heat/Air system in ceiling not floor
17. Highly accessible “groom” area with tub, 2-4 drying cages and groom table
18. small private consult room
19. Drive through drop off for dogs
20. Good flow of usable space “no dead areas” or “wasted space”
21. Intercom/music system throughout facility
22. Poop can area enclosed and away from clients but easy to get trash to curb each week.
Title 24 needed for heating/air on roof.
All materials should keep in mind that dogs will be using them and can be very destructive. All entries/exits should be double door/gate, if dog gets through one door he will be stopped by another door or gate. I will need 1 ADA compliant bathroom and entry door... probably back building. I have a 1/4 basement and would love to use the space for storage or something if possible. I would like heating/air on roof and have no problem with the industrial look. Energy efficiency is optimal. Cleaning is optimal, we use hoses all day every day on the exterior of the buildings, would love to use them inside. We have existing kennels from T-Kennel.com and would like to add more. one of the bathrooms has a groom tub/counter and I am open to relocating that.
Design affordability is important, ADA bathroom is important, feasibility of design concept and unique concept are important.
(1) PLAN VIEW(s): Scale 1/8"-1' (or 1/100)
(2) SECTION/ELEVATION VIEWS: : Scale 1/8"-1' (or 1/100)
(X) Various 3D views - where relevant
MATERIALS FROM CLIENT:
Please click on 'Images' tab for various pics
Please click on '+' tab for plan drawings
Also, you can watch live webcam of Cha Cha facility at: www.chachasdaycare.com (username: dog password: fun)